The first step - it's a doozy

I had planned to post my starting weight, but it's so ugly I'm going to hold off for a few weeks before I fess up. Suffice to say, it turns out I really missed Taco Bell (and about 100 other things).

It also turns out, this blog itself became kind of a problem (more irony!). I wanted to do everything in a really specific order - doctor's appointment, podiatrist appoint, running coach, shoe shopping - and write about it in real time before I got going. So I wasn't doing much in the way of exercise while I was eating Cheetos and 100 other things.

Bad idea. So, Sunday, I went out for my first run.

I've been thinking I want this blog to focus on things like equipment and events and other runners and stories about China - I think it's going to be the least interesting when it's "I went running - here's how it went."

That being said, I went running - here's how it went:

Terrible. It went terrible. But I suppose that was to be expected.

The first problem was actually finding a place to run (I am new in town, after all). I wanted a track, because I wanted an easy way to measure what I was doing. I don't have a smart phone for the time being, so all those great apps I've heard about are out for a few more weeks.

I live near Central Catholic High School, and somebody told me there was a public track there. If there is a track, I didn't see it and it wouldn't have mattered anyway because the place is fenced off and topped with barbed wire. So, I checked their website, which steered me to Fernhill Park, which isn't nearly as close to home as I thought.

So, question for you: I'm new to my neighborhood (near Laurelhurst Park). Any recommendations for a public track in that part of town?

Anyway, I planned to go a mile total, alternately running and walking four laps. Pretty weak, but whatever - it's a start. I made it through the first lap, and the calf issue I wrote about last week cropped up pretty badly.

I tried to walk it off and figured out after a lap that the only way to make it go away is to completely relieve my right leg of weight - so, just stand on the track on one leg looking like an idiot for a few minutes. I did that, ran another lap and limped to the car.

I expected that on some level. The problem is, I need more cardio than my legs will allow me via running right now. So, my plan for the immediate future is to alternate days of terrible running with more intense workouts at the gym so I can work off the Doritos Locos Tacos weight.

I'll set some tangible goals, starting with a 5K, as soon as I figure out how to work through my calf problem. I'll check back in with my progress in a week or two.

In the meantime, we'll step back from the navel-gazing and try to get back to some more interesting stuff on the blog. I talked this weekend with a friend of mine who finished this year's Boston Marathon about 45 minutes before the bombs went off - her story is riveting, and I'll have it for you later this week.

As always, you can follow me on Twitter @Dustin_L_Lane or email, and we've also added a Facebook page.