It's almost Farm to School month! Here's 5 things you should know
In just a few weeks, October 1st will mark the start of National Farm to School Month. Here are the top 5 things you should know about the program:
1. Students gain access to healthy, local foods as well as education opportunities
2. The program began in the 1990s with just a handful of schools -- it's now available in all 50 states plus Washington, D.C.
3. Oregon is the first state to pass legislation providing all schools funding to purchase locally produced foods
4. There are more than 630 school gardens in the state of Oregon (click here to find one near you)
5. Farm to school programs help local communities by reducing the carbon footprint of food transportation
Want to learn more about farm to school month? Click here to learn how you can become part of the movement.