Cleaning your child's new Christmas toys may not be enough to get rid of dangerous bacteria.
A new study shows the bacteria that cause strep throat can survive on inanimate objects longer than researchers thought.
The study was published last week in the journal Infection and Immunity.
Researchers at the University of Buffalo tested five stuffed toys at a day care center in New York. They found four of them had bacteria living on them hours after they had been cleaned.
Health care officials say that bacteria can last days after the surface is cleaned.
The researchers suggested that protocols for cleaning day care centers and home nurseries may need to change in light of the new information.