911 calls reveal the frantic moments before man hit and killed

PORTLAND, Ore. - Calls to police early Sunday morning captured the panic and concern of drivers in the minutes before a man acting erratically was hit and killed on Highway 18 near Sheridan.

Devin Cavan, 21, died after a driver hit and killed him at about 2 a.m. Callers to 911 described Cavan's bizarre behavior leading up to the accident.

"He's standing in the middle of the road," said one caller. "There's cars coming at him right now. I don't know what he's on. I think he just got hit."

"This kid just ran across the street and hurled a rock at my car," said another caller.

A caller told the 911 dispatcher that a man was in the middle of the road and then the caller yelled, "Hey! He's punching my car!"

Cavan's family told KATU earlier this week police took too long to respond and could've saved his life. But one of the half dozen 911 callers told KATU on Wednesday that after what she saw nothing could've save him.

Julie Boles described Cavan standing with his arms outstretched "like he was ready for me, waiting."

She came within feet of hitting him.

"I swerved to the right because he was towards the left of the lane and went around him," she said. "As I went around him, he's like this (with arms outstretched), he moved towards the car and (chucked) a handful of rocks at my car that went up my windshield."

She called 911. But by the time a deputy got there - nine minutes after the first 911 call - Cavan was dead. His family told KATU that that response time wasn't fast enough. They could've saved his life.

"It makes me feel horrible, because I know if that was somebody else's cousin or son they would want somebody to do something. For people to just ignore it - that's just not right," said Jessica Becknell, Cavan's cousin.

But Boles isn't sure he wanted to be saved.

"He was almost mad I didn't hit him, was what it felt like," Boles said.

Dispatch initially contacted state troopers right after the first 911 call but no troopers were on duty because of budget cuts. It took six minutes before dispatch sent a Yamhill County deputy. Both Oregon State Police and the Yamhill County Sheriff's Office said they couldn't have done anything differently.