Crews extinguish fire at Bethany Athletic Club

PORTLAND, Ore. - A two-alarm fire at a Northwest Portland athletic club was likely caused by combustibles placed next to a furnace vent, according to a fire investigator.

A Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue spokesman said crews were called to the fire at Bethany Athletic Club, located at 15670 N.W. Central Drive, after smoke was seen coming from the third floor on Friday morning.

Club members evacuated the building. There were no immediate reports of injuries.

Crews called for more resources with a second alarm after they arrived at the scene.

TVF&R tweeted that the fire started in a small room and was extinguished. Crews were cleaning up water damage.

The gym will remain closed for two days for additional cleanup.