Crews rescue woman from Southeast Portland house fire
PORTLAND, Ore. - Firefighters rescued a woman from a fire at a vacant house in Southeast Portland on Monday morning.
The fire started at 9809 S.E. Holgate Boulevard. Portland Fire and Rescue spokesman Lt. Rich Chatman said flames and smoke were coming from the back of the home when fire crews arrived.
Firefighters pulled an unconscious woman out of the house and gave her medical assistance, Chatman said. She suffered serious burn injuries and smoke inhalation and is in critical condition.
The woman was living illegally in the vacant home, Chatman said.
Crews closed Holgate in both directions at Southeast 97th Avenue.
Fire investigators said the fire was accidental and started on the couch. They don't know what sparked the fire.
Portland Fire and Rescue first said firefighters rescued a man from the burning house. However, firefighters at the scene later said the indivual was a woman.