Eagle Creek Fire, air quality and hot weather cause local school closures
PORTLAND, Ore. – Several schools in and around the Columbia River are canceling class Tuesday due to the Eagle Creek Fire, heat advisory and poor air quality.
The 4,800-acre Eagle Creek Fire is burning near Cascade Locks, Ore. and spread to Archer Mountain in Washington Tuesday morning.
The following schools plan to change their schedule:
- Mt. Pleasant School District is closed Tuesday due to fire conditions east of the school district.
- Multnomah Learning Academy is closing both of its campuses Tuesday
- The Kalama School District will dismiss students at noon Tuesday.
- Clackamas Education Service District says Early Childhood Special Ed is canceled for students due to the heat advisory and air quality. All staff should still report to school. There is also an opportunity for ECSSE staff to work at Sunnybrook in the afternoon.
- Mid-Columbia Children’s Council says Carson Head Start is closed Tuesday.
- Skamania School District 2 is closed Tuesday
- Portland Public Schools will release two hours early Tuesday due to heat and poor air quality. There will be no after school programs and no kindergarten and Pre-K at all. All PIL home games (indoor and outdoor) are cancelled. Practices for sixth through eight grad youth sports and kindergarten through eighth grade football are cancelled. High school practices will be determined by OSAA guidelines for heat and air quality.
- Evergreen School District will open as normal. However, all recesses and athletic practices will be held in doors. Scheduled sporting events will be postponed except for Union girls soccer traveling to Bellevue and Heritage girls soccer and Union golf traveling to Longview.
- West Linn-Wilsonville School District will adjust its outdoor activities due to warm weather and poor air quality.
- La Center School District says schools will open as normal. All recesses and athletic practices will be held indoors. All scheduled sporting events have been postponed with the exception of high school volleyball, which is travelling to Toutle, and high school varsity golf, which is travelling to Montesano.
- Washougal School District moved all athletic practices indoors Tuesday. All practices will end at 4 p.m. They said Canyon Creek Middle School's Back to School Night has been canceled. Washougal High School's New Student Meeting has been canceled. Columbia River Gorge Elementary School's Kindergarten Visitation has been canceled. The volleyball jamboree in Stevenson-Carson has been canceled.
- Vancouver School District has moved all after school outdoor activities and athletics indoors.