Evacuation orders change for Eagle Creek Fire, some allowed to return home
TROUTDALE, Ore. – Evacuation orders have changed for some Columbia River Gorge residents living near the Eagle Creek Fire.
The Multnomah and Hood River County Sheriff’s Offices announced several changes to evacuation orders, letting some of those forced from their homes to return for the first time in several days.
Cascade Locks, one of the first areas put under a Level 3 (Go) evacuation, has been scaled back to a Level 2 (Be Ready) evacuation. That means people can return home but must be ready to leave at a moment's notice.
A similar level reduction took place in parts of Multnomah County. Those residents on the west side of the evacuation need to check in at the “re-entry center” set up at the Corbett Community Church to get credentials that will allow them past law enforcement. | INTERACTIVE EVACUATION MAP
They ask that people only bring their household pets with them, as livestock and horses could be harder to move if the levels increase again.
Officials also said they would be scaling back all Level 1 (Get Ready) orders, which includes Troutdale west of the Sandy River.
Anyone living in the Gorge should remember that fire activity can shift day-by-day, so deputies ask everyone to maintain a level of awareness of the fire danger.
“Over the coming days, we will continue to work with fire officials to examine possible re-entry into additional portions of the remaining Level 3 communities,” the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office said. “For those residents still under a Level 3 evacuation notice, thank you for your continued patience and understanding.”
Fire officials cancelled all evacuation orders for the Archer Mountain Fire burning across the Columbia River in Skamania County. That fire is considered fully-contained.
Level 3 (Go!) evacuation orders:
- Bridal Veil
- East Historic Columbia River Highway: East of Alex Barr Road, addresses in the 43800 block and higher
- Larch Mountain Road: East of Brower Road, addresses in the 45800 block and higher
- All of Brower Road, including Toll Road
- E Haines Road: addresses in the 43800 block and higher
- Zone A4a running along the I-84 corridor, east of Exit 47 and west of Exit 56
Level 2 (Be Set) evacuation orders:
- Cascade Locks
- Larch Mountain Road: West of Brower Road, addresses in the 45700 block and lower, including Salzman Road and Alder Meadows Road
- E Haines Road: addresses in the 43700 block and lower (towards Larch Mountain Road)
- Troutdale: addresses East of the Sandy River
- Zone A4b - all residences west of Country Club Rd. beginning at Frankton Rd. and ending at York Hill Rd. and all residences on the North and west side of York Hill Rd. All residences west from Mile Post 61 on I-84 to mile post 57, including Morton Rd. and Mitchell Point Rd.
Level 1 (Get Ready) evacuation notices have been lifted for all areas of Troutdale West of the Sandy River. There are no communities currently in a Level 1 evacuation.