Firefighters battle apartment fire in Southeast Portland
PORTLAND, Ore. —
Fire broke out at a four-plex in Southeast Portland on Wednesday night.
Firefighters were called to the building at Southeast 12th Avenue and Market Street just before 8 p.m.
They say it took a while to track the source of the fire -- through the walls and into the attic.
Fighting the fire proved tricky in the rain. Firefighters used special ladders to keep their footing on the slick roof.
The Red Cross is assisting a seven people forced from their homes.
Firefighters determined a chimney flue failed in a first-floor fireplace, and the fire that was burning in it was able to spread, they said.
It was a busy day for Portland firefighters. Before being called to this fire, they responded to three within a 25-minute time period earlier in the evening.
They were called to 3333 N.W. Luzon Street just before 5 p.m. to put out a fire in a large piece of equipment inside a warehouse.
Just a few minutes later, crews were called to a commercial fire at 304 S.E. 2nd Ave. Firefighters were able to quickly put out a fire in a boiler room.
And just before 5:20 p.m., firefighters were called to a house fire in the 6300 block of Southeast 92nd Avenue. A cooking fire on the stove started cabinets on fire, filling the house with smoke.
Firefighters and medics treated one person who lives in the home for injuries.