Historic SE Portland barber shop damaged in fire

PORTLAND, Ore. - A 40-year-old barber shop in Southeast Portland was salvaged after firefighters quelled a fire that had quickly spread through the interior of the building late Monday afternoon.

Damage to Dale Brothers Barber Shop at Southeast 82nd Avenue and Ramona Street was estimated at $30,000, according to a news release from Portland Fire & Rescue.

The fire was reported just before 5 p.m. Arriving firefighters saw heavy fire and smoke coming from the building, mainly from the second floor and attic.

Firefighters entered the barber shop and were able to knock down the blaze before it spread even farther, the news release said.

Two firefighters suffered minor injuries, but did not need to be taken to the hospital by ambulance.

The fire was started by an unspecified electrical problem, fire officials said in the news release.