MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Homeowners' dog may be responsible for costly Vancouver house fire

Homeowners' dog likely responsible for Vancouver house fire - Vancouver Fire photo.jpg

A costly Thursday afternoon house fire in Vancouver may have been due to the dog going after some food near the stove, an investigation determined.

"No one was home at the time of the fire but Jake the dog," said Vancouver Fire Marshal Heidi Scarpelli.

The damaged home is in the Arnada neighborhood, where fire crews responded just after 1 p.m.

Early estimates say the fire caused around $18,000 in damage.

As reported by our news partners at The Columbian, "it appeared likely the homeowners' Australian shepherd, Jake, may have jumped onto the stove to snag some bread and, in the process, switched on a burner that lit some nearby combustibles on fire."

There were no reported injuries.

"We've had this happen before in the city," said Scarpelli.

Fire crews have encountered situations before in which animals switched on heating elements, knocked over candles or started fires in other ways.

-----

[Information from The Columbian]

Trending