PORTLAND, Ore. - It's that time of year again when we pay tribute to those who have served our country, whether they are with us today or have passed on.
This year, Veterans Day falls on Sunday, Nov. 11.
As is custom, the president of the United States will place a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington Cemetery and around the nation, there will be parades, remembrances and celebrations to honor our country's veterans.
Veterans Day is a long tradition in the United States that began back in 1919 when President Woodrow Wilson declared a day to honor veterans. It wasn't until 1938, however, that Veterans Day (or Armistice Day as it was originally called) became a legal holiday.
Below are some of the local events scheduled for the Veterans Day weekend. If there's an event in your community that's not on the list, send us an email so we can add it.
- Saturday, Nov. 10 - Albany's Annual Veterans Day Parade
- Sunday, Nov. 11 - Veterans Day observance at Veterans Memorial Park
- Sunday, Nov. 11 - Veterans Day ceremony at Bethel Congregational Church
- Friday, Nov. 9 - Open House at Camp Withycombe from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Sunday, Nov. 11 - Veterans Day Dinner at the Elks Lodge
- Saturday, Nov. 10 - Veterans Day Parade in downtown Gresham
- Saturday, Nov. 10 - Community Pancake Breakfast at the Veterans Hall at 150 W. Powell Blvd. (from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m.). $7 for adults and $5 for seniors and kids 12 and under.
- Sunday, Nov. 11 - Veterans Day Heroes Memorial
- Sunday, Nov. 11 - Veterans Day Ceremony at the Washington County Fair Complex
- Sunday, Nov. 11 - Open House at American Legion Post 180 at 2146 S.E. Monroe Street. Hot dogs and chili will be served and there will be live music. Will run from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday, Nov. 11 - Praying Hands Memorial at the University of Portland at 5000 N. Willamette Blvd. Will start at 1 p.m.
- Monday, Nov. 12 - 38th Annual Ross Hollywood Chapel Veterans Day Parade
- Friday, Nov. 9 - 50+ Center is hosting a lunch and Veterans Day program with musical entertainment. Located at the corner of Portland and Silverton Roads N.E. RSVP by Nov. 8 - call (503) 588-6303.
- Sunday, Nov. 11 - Free spaghetti lunch for all veterans, current military and their families at the Elks Lodge at 2336 Turner Road S.E. Non veterans can eat with a suggested donation of $5. Event will run from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Monday, Nov. 12 - Veterans Day Story Time at A.C. Gilbert Discovery Village
- Sunday, Nov. 11 - Ceremonial tribute with patriotic music hosted by VFW Post 4273 and Auxiliary at the Sandy Town Square on Pioneer Blvd. Will start at 11 p.m., followed by a community potluck at 12 p.m. at VFW Post 4273 at 38452 Proctor Blvd.
- Friday, Nov. 9 - Public grand opening ceremony for the traveling Dignity Memorial Vietnam Wall at 4101 S.W. Skyline Blvd. Begins at 10 a.m.
- Saturday, Nov. 10 - MIA/POW Ceremony at 4101 S.W. Skyline Boulevard. Will start at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Nov. 10 - Pancake breakfast at the Wood Village Baptist Church at 23601 W. Arata Road. Veterans eat free. Requested donation for non veterans is $5. Will run from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.