PORTLAND, Ore. -- The man known as the "jogger rapist" won't be getting out of prison anytime soon, and it's the move he made that sealed his own fate to stay locked up.
Richard Gillmore admits to terrorizing at least nine women and girls in Southeast Portland in the late 1970s and early 80s. He's been eligible for parole three times, but he's chosen to not go before the board next month.
Gillmore sent a letter to the parole board in February, refusing to participate in his own hearing. He wrote "there's no point in having a hearing in which the outcome will be the same as the last three."
And he wants time to "further study and research into what my victims have gone through and more insight into my behavior."
The last time Gillmore was in front of the parole board was just shy of two years ago.
Danielle Tudor, one of Gillmore's victims, had to sue the parole board to speak at that hearing because although Gillmore admitted to raping her, he wasn't prosecuted for it. The statute of limitations had run out.
Tudor told KATU on Wednesday that Gillmore is running scared.
"It made me feel creepy, because it made me feel like study and research about (his) victims is what I got out of that," she said. "Now I know Richard Gillmore is very aware of what is happening on the outside with his case and quite frankly, I think he made the right decision to not have his parole hearing."
Gillmore isn't eligible for parole again until April 1, 2016. He was sentenced in 1986 to 60 years in prison.
Gillmore also told the parole board that he's trying to get into a program at the prison where he's locked up, which could take one to two years to do.
According to the parole office, the program is confidential.
It's rare for inmates to decline a parole hearing. Last year, the state said out of 90 eligible inmates, only six declined.
Because Gillmore declined to participate in his hearing, the parole board canceled it.