KATU Summer Guide: Outdoor dining spots in the Portland area
PORTLAND, Ore. —
As warmer weather and more daylight hours turn Portland into a summer wonderland, many of us will be looking to hit up great outdoor spots for food and drink.
Despite the long rainy months Portland sees each year, there's no shortage of restaurants and bars with patios perfect for catching some rays.
From fancy spots to food carts, here are some of our favorite outdoor dining places around the area:
- 10 Barrel Brewing: Enjoy beautiful views from the rooftop patio of this Bend-based brewery in the heart of Portland's Pearl district. With over 20 taps, you can choose from a plethora of craft beers and munch on everything from fried brussels sprouts to pizza. Open 11AM-11PM Sunday-Thursday, 11AM-Midnight Friday & Saturday.
- Apex: This lively beer garden/tap room on Southeast Division Street has a wide open space filled with more than a dozen picnic tables and plenty of bike parking! Choose from 50 amazing beers on tap and maybe even play a game of pin-ball at this cash-only spot. Open 11:30AM-2:30AM everyday.
- Departure: This swanky rooftop restaurant has arguably one of the best views of the city. Located above the Nines Hotel downtown, enjoy Asian cuisine from 'Top Chef' finalist Gregory Gourdet and be sure to bring a camera. The venue is also available for private parties. Open 4PM-12AM Sunday-Thursday, and 4PM-1AM Friday & Saturday.
- McMenamins at Edgefield Hotel: This 74-acre parcel of farmland known as Historic Edgefield (built in 1911) is now home to a destination resort, restaurant, concert venue and more. Bring your kids, pets and bikes to this beautiful family-friendly venue and enjoy a glass of wine, a signature brew and delicious food.
- Noble Rot: This hip 4th-floor wine bar off East Burnisde treats guests to an amazing view of the Portland skyline. Enjoy seasonal dishes made with ingredients from the restaurant's rooftop garden, and try a myriad of fantastic wines from Oregon and abroad. Open 5PM-9PM Sunday-Thursday, and 5PM-10PM Friday & Saturday.
- Renata: Located in the heart of the up-and-coming East-side Industrial District, Renata provides guests with an upscale Italian fare and a quaint patio for catching some sunlight. The Restaurant also offers an awesome Neapolitan wood-fired pizza happy hour at the bar 5-6PM Monday-Thursday, 9-10PM Friday & Saturday, and ALL DAY Sunday!
- Radio Room: If you're looking for a casual place to grab after-work drinks with friends, or some incredible bacon mac & cheese, Radio Room on Northeast Alberta Street is the place for your. Their west-facing rooftop patio gives guests a nice view of the sunset, and a fire place and heat lamps make the space comfortable and cozy even during winter. Bonus: They also serve breakfast. Open 9AM-2AM daily.
- Teote: Enjoy the Latin American street food experience at this Southeast Portland Brick and Mortar location of what used to be a food cart. Head upstairs to enjoy their wide-open patio and gluten-free menu! Open 11AM-10PM Sunday-Thursday, 11AM-11PM Friday & Saturday.
- Portland Mercado: Enjoy more Latin American cuisine at the Portland Mercado food cart collection on Southeast Foster Road. The public market and plaza is home to more than 16 permanent businesses which strive to "bring together diverse cultures through food, art and entertainment." There's coffee in the morning, and beer and wine later in the day. Sit outside and enjoy 10AM-8PM Sunday-Thursday, and 10AM-9PM Friday & Saturday.
- The Zipper: This spot is perfect for a group that all wants something different. The Northeast Sandy restaurant collection is home to Slice (pizza), Basilisk (fried chicken), Wares (Asian-fusion) ChickPeaDX (Mediterranean) and PayDirt (booze). Sit outside next to a fire pit or at one of several picnic tables on a warm sunny day.
- Wayfinder Beer: This new new brewery project transforms transformed 8,900 square feet of a century-old brick warehouse in Portland's Central Eastside into a classic destination for beer and food lovers. Sit outside and enjoy tasty pub food and craft brews on tap. Open 10AM-11PM Sunday-Wednesday, and 10AM-Midnight Thursday-Saturday.