Man accused in Portland kidnapping, rape arrested in Pennsylvania

PORTLAND, Ore. - A man accused of tying up a Portland woman in his van, sexually abusing her and then pushing her out into the street was arrested in Erie, Pennsylvania Friday, which is nearly a year after the crime.

The kidnapping and assault happened Sept. 24, 2013, according to court documents. Those documents show there was a DNA match with Jason Demby in the national DNA database on June 18, 2014. Police in Pennsylvania then arrested Demby Friday, July 11. They found him with a 15-year-old girl in his car but have not released details about those circumstances.

Court documents say the victim in Portland was in a "full-sized 'transport' van" with a "wired divider" between the driver and the back. The victim said she was "unsure what happened after midnight" or how she left the North Portland bar Tardis that night, but she does remember being in the van and telling the suspect "'no' several times."

Police later found "bruises all over her body."

Court documents show the victim had a black belt tied around her wrist that was likely used to tie her up in the van and had the DNA that eventually linked Demby.

"It was hard on all of us," the victim's mom, who doesn't want to be identified, said Wednesday. "She's doing really well, I think, for all she's gone through. She's strong."

Police said the victim was pushed out of the van around Northeast 66th and Glisan and found help a mile and a half away. She told a jogger in the area, "Can you help me please, I've been raped."

"She was just clearly distraught and saying things like, 'I can't believe this is happening. I can't believe this, this is so awful,'" said that good Samaritan, Jim Shulevitz. "She was just beside herself."

Shulevitz waited with the victim until police arrived.

It was only a week later when Demby was arrested in Eugene for reckless driving and eluding police, but since his DNA had not been linked to the crime yet, he was eventually released.

"I'm really relieved," said the victim's mom about Demby's capture. "I think it will bring some closure."

It will take at least a few weeks for Demby to be brought back to jail in Oregon.