Man turns himself in for murders in 1970s

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) A 63-year-old man with a long criminal record has been arrested in Texas after police said he confessed to four Oregon homicides committed in the 1970s.

Portland detectives arrested Jeffrey Paul Cutlip for two of the murders over the weekend in Brownsville, Texas, police said Monday.

Authorities said they arrested him for murders in 1975 and 1977. However, the names of the victims have not been released, and police have yet to provide information about the crimes or say why he has not been arrested for all four.

Cutlip is being held in jail in Cameron County, Texas, awaiting extradition to Portland. It's unclear why he decided to allegedly come forward.

"It's always good to close a cold case, make an arrest, give closure to people's families," said Sgt. Pete Simpson, a Portland police spokesman.

Oregon Department of Corrections records show Cutlip has spent much of the past three decades behind bars, in and out of prison for crimes including sodomy, burglary and robbery, along with parole violations.

He was required to register as a sex offender following a 1982 sodomy conviction. State sex offender records label him a "predator" and say he targets adult female strangers using threats and weapons to gain compliance.

Cutlip was married with a 2-year-old daughter in 1982 when he was charged with multiples offenses related to attacks on two women. A jury convicted him in one case and he pleaded guilty in another. He spent more than a decade behind bars for the burglary and sodomy convictions.

In the sodomy case, a lawyer for Cutlip wrote that his client had a history of mental problems and was admitted to a mental hospital several times since the 1960s, according to Multnomah County court records. The lawyer wrote that Cutlip was taking medication for manic depression.

Jacklyn Warrington, the victim in the burglary conviction, said Cutlip was living across the street from her when the attack occurred in 1978. She said Cutlip broke into her apartment late at night and struggled with her at the top of the stairs. He left after her 10-year-old daughter came out of a bedroom and started screaming.

"It was totally looking into the eyes of a psychopath," she told The Associated Press.

Warrington said detectives told her at the time that they suspected him in the killing of a woman from southeast Portland but couldn't prove it.

Portland police have declined to say whether he was a suspect at the time in any of the slaying's he's allegedly admitted to committing.

Brownsville police spokesman Billy Killebrew said Cutlip called police Saturday and later came in to speak with investigators. Portland detectives flew in Sunday to check out his stories.

Simpson, the Portland police spokesman, said he wasn't sure whether victims' families had been notified of Cutlip's arrest.

Brownsville police arrested Cutlip in April for failing to register as a sex offender, Killebrew said. He told police he'd lived in the area for about a year.

Multnomah County probation officers have closely supervised Cutlip since he was released from prison in 1993. He's been returned to jail or prison seven times for various parole violations, including once for failing to participate in sex offender treatment, said David Austin, a county spokesman.

A warrant was issued for his arrest when he failed to report to a probation center in January 2011, Austin said.