Man who was wrongfully arrested after biking home from work sues City of Portland

Gavel, court (MGN Online).jpg

A 23-year-old man is suing the City of Portland for $475,000 after he was wrongfully arrested while on his way home from work.

Anthony Allen was biking back to his home in NE Portland when he finished his shift at New Seasons grocery store around 11:30 p.m. on May 18, 2015. He was close to his home at NE 25th Avenue and Sumner when he noticed police lights and a perimeter.

Several Portland Police Bureau officers told Allen there was a shooting in the area, it wasn't safe and that he should go home. He met up with his cousin a few blocks away and once he was on his street, Portland Police officer Colby Marrs "appeared suddenly out of the shadows and yelled at Allen and his cousin to stop."

Allen told the officer he had just gotten off work and was on his way home. Officer Marrs, the lawsuit says, told Allen he had questions for him. When Allen told him he had already spoken with other officers who told him to go home, officer Marrs allegedly told him, when "an officer tells you to stop, you [expletive] stop."

Allen attempted to go home because he was "put off by this disrespectful behavior." The lawsuit claims Officer Marrs then grabbed Allen's shoulder, put his hand on his gun and called for back-up.

Officer Marrs then grabbed Allen, threw him off his bike, and leaned his knee into Allen's neck and shoulders, the lawsuit says. Allen was in pain and bleeding, while the officer was handcuffing him.

Other officers arrived, and threw Allen's belongings on the ground, which included a Bible. He was held until 4 a.m. the next morning at the downtown police station on a charge of interfering with a police officer.

Allen took his case to trial, where he was acquitted by a jury in August 2015.

The lawsuit also claims Allen had to seek medical treatment for his injuries, and that several Portland Police Bureau members "came to his place of work and treated him in an intimidating manner."

Sgt. Pete Simpson with Portland Police declined to make a comment on the case on behalf of the bureau.

Stay with KATU News as this story develops.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off