3 people, including high school student, hurt after truck barrels down sidewalk in Canby

Two of the vehicles police say were damaged after a truck (not pictured) barreled down a sidewalk and through front yards on North Cedar Street in Canby.

The Canby Police Department said a truck driver barreled down a sidewalk and through front yards off North Cedar Street near Northwest 2nd Avenue Friday afternoon, hitting two pedestrians.

One of the pedestrians, a male high school student, was airlifted to Oregon Health and Science University hospital in Portland. The other pedestrian and the truck driver were taken to OHSU as well.

Canby Police Chief Bret Smith said Friday the high school student is in stable condition and is improving. He did not know the conditions of the other pedestrian and the truck driver.

Smith said the pedestrians were standing on the sidewalk when the truck plowed into them around 1:30 p.m. before continuing south on North Cedar Street.

"There was burning. There was fire, everything coming out of the truck," said Luz Carrillo, who witnessed the crashed. "He was going really fast."

Carrillo said she was at her sister's house with her three young children when they looked out the front window and caught an eyeful.

"It just was a big, huge noise. Everybody heard it," explained Carrillo, whose children range in age from 2 to 4. "My kids were right there on the stairs where the stairs were inside so when the truck hit, the house moved so they got scared."

Carrillo said it appeared the truck driver lost control, hitting multiple parked vehicles, a light pole and a power box before crashing through some bushes and stopping near train tracks.

Smith would not reveal the identities of the victims or the truck driver.

People who live in the area, including Carrillo, told KATU they don't know who was hit.

"We didn't know if there was going to be an explosion or something," said Carrillo. "My kids are normally outside. Thank God they were inside, though."

Canby Utility said four homes and two commercial buildings lost electricity and crews were working to restore power.

Smith said the cause of the crash is under investigation.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off