Police indict suspect in SE Portland hit-and-run

PORTLAND, Ore. - The man police said was the driver in a hit-and-run crash that killed a 60-year-old man will not face a manslaughter charge.

According to court officials, Jay Taylor Jenkins, 24, was indicted on several charges last week, including two counts of failure to perform the duties of a driver resulting in serious injury or death, three counts of hindering prosecution and three counts of tampering with physical evidence.

The charge of manslaughter was not included in his indictment.

According to court documents, Jenkins and a friend were on their way home from the Mystic Gentlemen's Club February 17th when their car hit and killed Douglas Norman Miller at Southeast Powell Boulevard and 124th Avenue.

Miller was walking when he was hit and died at the scene.

Jenkins' friend Jerin Nigel Crabtree, 29, was also arrested in connection with the crash.

In a probable cause affidavit, prosecutors say Jenkins and Crabtree were at the strip club Saturday. They had called and texted Crabtree's roommates asking for a ride home because they were both "too drunk to drive." Those roommates, Tyler Davis and Mariana Price, told police they had missed the calls.

Without a ride home, the documents say, Jenkins then got behind the wheel of a green Subaru Legacy.

Davis discovered the Subaru in question in a detached garage on his property at Southeast 141st Avenue the next day. He saw a basketball-sized hole in the driver's side of the windshield, as well as damage to the front bumper and driver's side headlight.

Davis and Price contacted police. Officers served a search warrant at the home and arrested Jenkins and Crabtree.

Investigators believe Crabtree was helping Jenkins repair the damaged vehicle.

Jenkins, also known as "Junebug", was originally charged with manslaughter (2nd degree), hit-and-run and tampering with evidence.

Crabtree (photo at right) was originally charged with one count of tampering with evidence.

According to the affidavit, Jenkins told police his car was damaged while driving recklessly. He said he had consumed "at least two beers" over several hours Saturday.

Prosecutors say he responded with "no" and "I don't know what happened; I was in shock" when asked whether he knew if he had hit a person, the documents say.