Police: Man arrested for having sex with girl, 13, he met online
BEAVERTON, Ore. - When a Beaverton mother saw some unusual text messages on her daughter's phone, she had a feeling that something wasn't right.
She was so concerned about the messages that she decided to call police.
Based on that tip, police ended up arresting 25-year-old Jeff Michael Metschan on charges that he had sex with the woman's 13-year-old daughter, according to Beaverton police spokesman Mike Rowe.
Rowe said the mother first called them on October 8. She said she was worried that her daughter was having sex with an adult.
Detectives talked to the victim, who told them she met Metschan on the social networking site Badoo.com.
The victim told investigators that she had sex with Metschan, Rowe said.
Metschan was arrested the next day. According to Rowe, he admitted to knowing the victim was under 18 and to having sex with her.
He faces charges of rape, sexual abuse and unlawful sexual penetration.
On its homepage, Badoo describes itself as a place for "chatting, making friends, sharing interests, and even dating."
Rowe said it's important for parents to be aware of what sites their children are visiting.
He offered the following tips to keep kids safe online:
- Have the computer in a family area where you and others can see the monitor.
- Check the computers history often to see what sites your child is going to.
- Have the password for all social network and email accounts your child uses.
- Have your child friend you so you can see what is going on.
- If your child has a smart phone limit the apps they can install and check the phone often.
- Set parental controls on the computer and/or router.
- Talk to your child about the dangers of meeting people on the internet.