Prosecutors decide to not file charges against Tre Arrow

PORTLAND, Ore. - Prosecutors declined to file charges against Portland mayoral candidate Tre Arrow after he was arrested and accused of domestic violence on Tuesday morning.

They decided to not file charges after Arrow girlfriend, who made the original accusation, said she wouldn't testify against Arrow.

Arrow had been scheduled for a court appearance on Wednesday afternoon but was not required to show up after charges were not filed.

Paul Loney, Arrow's longtime attorney, said he believes the district attorney took at a look at the evidence and decided there wasn't a good enough case to get a conviction.

"It's pretty clear from talking to Tre and talking to this person who called police there wasn't enough evidence to go forward," he said.

It's still not clear what led up to the arrest, but Loney said the woman who called 9-1-1 regrets doing so.

"People in the moment do strange things. She called police and she told me she regrets calling the police," Loney said.

Even though the charges weren't filed, Arrow remained in jail on a U.S. Marshals hold. We have calls in to the U.S. Marshals office for an explanation.

It wasn't all bad news for Arrow this week. The same day as his arrest, the city of Portland announced that he had submitted enough verified signatures to officially be added to the mayoral primary ballot.

In a Survey USA/KATU News poll taken in late February, 7 percent of respondents said Arrow was their choice for mayor. That was before he had collected the necessary signatures to officially be placed on the ballot.

The poll had a margin of error of plus or minus 4.2 percent.

Arrow is perhaps most well-known for a protest in 2000 when he sat on a narrow ledge for a week at the Portland office of the U.S. Forest Service.

He was also convicted in 2008 of firebombing three cement trucks at Ross Island Sand & Gravel and setting fire to logging trucks near Estacada.

KATU reporter Dan Tilkin contributed to this report