Silverton garage charred by early-morning fire

SILVERTON, Ore. -- Investigators think an early-morning fire Friday in a Silverton garage was caused by an electrical malfunction.

Firefighters from the Silverton Fire District responded at approximately 5 a.m. to a garage fire at a home in the 200 block of Rock Street. When the first unit of firefighters arrived, they saw moderate smoke and fire coming from the attached garage before they went to work to extinguish the fire.

The house was occupied by two adult residents when the blaze started in the garage near a workbench. When the smoke alarms sounded, the family smelled smoke, evacuated the home and called 911. The homeowner said the smoke alarm helped save their home and their lives.

Officials said the fire caused an estimated $45,000 in damage.