Unattended candle causes fire at Southeast Portland store

PORTLAND, Ore. - Portland fire investigators said an unattended candle caused a fire at a Dollar Store early Sunday morning.

When firefighters responded to the call at 7901 SE Powell Blvd. at around 1:30 a.m., they could see an orange glow through the smoke in the front corner of the building.

They quickly put out the flames.

No one was injured. Damage is estimated at $15,000.

"The damages would have been more severe if it wasn't for the sprinkler system," said Portland Fire & Rescue Lt. Rob Root. "It did its job of containing the fire to one area."

Keep lit candles away from anything that can burn. Root said to put them in sturdy, metal, glass or ceramic holders, and place them where they cannot tip over.