After house fire that left his stepson in burn unit, homeowner thanks Good Samaritan

Edward Freitas (KATU News photo)

A man is grateful for the help of a Good Samaritan during a massive house fire that left his stepson in the hospital with burns.

Edward Freitas' home in the 800 block of NE 101st Court caught on fire around 6 a.m. Freitas, who was visiting his son at the home, says he awoke to his screams.

“I heard my son screaming from the opposite bedroom, he was hollering and jeez, I went down the hall and opened the door. Flames were all over the bed, you could just see the outline of the mattress and clothing on top of the bed but everything was burning,” Freitas explained. “The smoke was so heavy, I was coughing and was almost going to pass out."

He and his son managed to get out of home, desperately searching for help.

“I ran out to the street and tried to get someone going to work,” Freitas said.

That's when he found a Good Samaritan willing to help.

“I was jumping for joy. I was so glad to know someone was going to pass the word. Otherwise, I don't know what would have happened,” Freitas said.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off