Woman describes deadly crash: 'All of a sudden, I saw a car coming towards me'

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Ericka Gorremans visited her son for the first time on Sunday since they were both airlifted to OHSU after Friday's crash on Interstate 5.

Ericka and Clayton, 10, are in critical condition.

Henry, 6, did not survive after troopers said another driver slammed into them while driving the wrong way on I-5 north of Vancouver.

"He was my little angel," said Gorremans, still visibly in pain and heavily medicated in OHSU's intensive care unit.

"All of a sudden, I just saw a car coming towards me," she said.

Ericka will need surgeries and months of rehabilitation before she can walk again. So will Clayton.

Ericka was taking her son and nephew to La Center for a church sleepover on Friday afternoon.

They were five exits away when troopers say Gage "Bill" Musgrave, 84, used an exit as an entrance and drove straight towards oncoming traffic for a half-mile.

"I was trying to get out of his way. I couldn't get out of his way. All these other cars were trying to move," said Ericka.

After the crash, she only remembers a brief conversation.

"I did talk to the boys. Clayton was crying. Henry was in the back seat. I just told him I loved him. He said he loved me too. That's all I remember from the crash."

When Ericka remembered that moment during Sunday's interview, her family sitting nearby in the hospital room started sobbing.

"I absolutely loved him," said Henry's only brother, Tyler, 18. "Waking up and seeing his eyes in the morning. He could just look into your soul."

"We're going to miss Henry so much," said Ericka's sister, Angela Robinson. "I don't understand why he had to go so soon. He was only six."

Why? They all asked that question. Why did the other car drive the wrong way at freeway speeds? Why did the driver stay on the interstate for half of a mile, easily 30 seconds?

Investigators don't understand either, according to Trooper Will Finn with Washington State Patrol.

No charges have been filed. Drugs or alcohol are not believed to be factors in the crash.

Musgrave is listed in satisfactory condition at PeaceHealth Southwest Hospital in Vancouver. A spokesman said the family is declining all interviews.

KATU tracked down the person who said he was first to visit Musgrave in the hospital after the crash.

"He seemed very collected. He was aware and didn't seem confused at all," said Jared Doman, bishop of the LDS church Musgrave attends.

Doman says Musgrave remembers getting into a wreck, but not much else.

"He told me, 'I didn't see the car coming,'" Doman claims Musgrave told him from the hospital.

"Maybe he had a lapse. It didn't sound like he is aware he was driving the wrong way," said Doman.

Musgrave lived alone in Vancouver and was active in his church, regularly volunteering and
performing chores around the building.

Friends and neighbors say he's always seemed alert, aware and physically stable.

When asked if Musgrave ever showed any indication he might be unfit to drive for any reason, Doman along with a half-dozen other friends, neighbors and fellow churchgoers all insisted he did not.

According to investigators, troopers believe Musgrave was 'confused and disoriented.'

Ericka Gorremans and her family are praying for recovery -- and hoping for an explanation.

"It was truly an accident," she said.

But even all the answers would not change what happened to Henry.

"Every day, I wake up and think he's going to be there," said his brother, Tyler.

Both Musgrave and Clayton, the 10-year-old victim in the other car, also have an unfortunate similarity: according to friends and family, neither has been told about Henry's fate.