Post-Christmas shopping guide: bagging the best deals
Many folks' attention will again turn to shopping on the day after Christmas. Savvy shoppers know it's one of the best days of the year to bag some serious deals. To help you save, the Problem Solvers have put together a post-Christmas shopping guide.
This year, industry experts are predicting even more aggressive discounts, partly because the shopping season was shortened and stores still have a lot of inventory, and partly because Dec. 26 falls on a Thursday. Many potential shoppers will be working, so stores need to work extra hard to intice them to spend.
Here's some of what you can expect:
- Macy's: Buy one, get one free deals on many men's dress shirts and designer suits
- Nordstrom: 33% discounts on men's clothing
- Kohl's: Spend under $100 and save an additional 15% off nearly everything in the store; over $100, you'll get 20% off
- J.C. Penney: Coupons for $10 off purchases of $25 or more in the Christmas Day circular, or you can print the coupon on its website
- Sears: 40% savings on appliances over $499 for customers who use their Sears cards
- Toys-R-Us: 40% off on Skylanders and select video games
- Walmart: 25 to 50% off on thousands of items, including a Nintendo 3DS XL system for $199.96, plus a $50 gift card with purchase
- Target: 50% off on select toys and 40% off on clothing
But according to dealnews.com, the best sales on clothes will be at Banana Republic and Gap and online at Club Monaco and French Connection.
If you do shop online, increase your savings by using a cash back site - like Ebates - to access our favorite retailers' websites. And do a quick search for those coupon savings codes.
Finally, resist the urge to buy big screen TVs and other tech gadgets. Prices on those items won't bottom out until late january.
Here's a look at when stores open on Dec. 26:
Kohl's, some Walmarts
Some Walmarts and Fred Meyers, Target, Washington Square Mall, Woodburn Premium Outlets
Clackamas Town Center, Westfield Vancouver
Pioneer Place, Lloyd Center