If you're looking for something new to add to your diet...jack fruit is the new crave among plant based eaters, because you get the flavors and textures of pulled pork - minus the pork! Nutrition and Fitness Expert, Rajiv Harry showed Tra' how to make it in a wrap! Click here for more information about Rajiv.
BBQ Jack Fruit Wraps
Jack fruit is the new crave amongst plant based eaters because in this particular recipe you get the flavors and textures of pulled pork minus the pork! This is a much healthier version of pulled meat that is a must try!
- -2 cans organic green or young jackfruit in water not syrup. Strain and rinse and blot with paper towels. Remove any hard pieces of core and remove any seeds ( save the seeds as they are edible and protein rich). Toss with nutritional yeast and set aside.
- -4 large gluten free tortilla wraps ( good selection at New Seasons)
- -Harry’s healthier homemade BBQ sauce ( see recipe below)
- -2 TBLS Braggs nutritional yeast
- -cabbage carrot and spinach slaw w/ apple cider vinaigrette ( see recipe below)
Harry’s Healthier Homemade BBQ sauce
- -2 6oz cans of organic tomato paste
- -2 cups water
- -4 TBLS apple cider vinegar
- -1/3 cup organic agave nectar
- -2 TBLS Worcestershire sauce
- -2 TBLS smoked paprika
- -1/3 cup diced yellow onion
- -1 TBLS chopped garlic
- -1 tsp chili powder
- -1/2 tsp onion powder
- -1 tsp EVOO
- -Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Method Of Preparation
- -Preheat small sauce pot to med, add EVOO, onions and garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- -add all dry spices and toast lightly
- -add tomato paste, water and rest of ingredients, mix all together. Adjust seasoning if needed. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15mins
- -in a separate sauce pot cover jackfruit with BBQ sauce and simmer for 20-25 mins
• Save the rest of the sauce for a later date
Cabbage, carrot and spinach slaw
- -1 half small red cabbage shredded
- -3 cups baby spinach
- -1 cup matchstick carrots
- Quick apple cider Vinaigrette
- -2 TBLS apple cider vinegar
- -4 TBLS EVOO
- -1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- -1 clove garlic chopped
- -1 tsp agave nectar
- -salt and pepper to taste
• mix all ingredients in blender and blend until emulsified
• lightly coat slaw with vinaigrette and mix lightly
OK time to build this thing Up!
- -In a saute pan heated to med lightly toast tortillas approximately 1 min on each side
- -lay tortillas on flat food safe surface
- -place small layer of slaw towards the back of tortilla
- -place about 1/2 cup of BBQ jackfruit mix on top leaving 1.5 inches of space on each side of tortilla.
- -start to roll from the back, tuck the sides as you roll.
- -once wraps are rolled give them a nice angled cut for a pretty aesthetic look!