Health & Fitness Enthusiast, Alisa Fairbanks made a fresh, delicious Chicken Salad with a Middle Eastern Twist.
Za’atar Chicken Salad
Tangy, aromatic and fresh, this za’atar chicken salad is anything but boring. It’s gluten, grain and dairy-free, and tastes great with veggie slices, over greens, with chips or in your favorite wrap.
Cuisine: Dairy-free, Gluten-free, Grain-free
Keyword: chicken salad, healthy chicken salad, za’atar chicken
- 1 lb cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed or shredded
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 2.5 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (about half of one large lemon)
- 1 Tbsp za’atar spice blend (make sure it’s gluten-free)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, dry toasted (see directions below)
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Add cumin seeds to a small skillet over medium-low heat. Dry toast the cumin seeds for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once slightly darker and fragrant, remove from heat and set aside.
- Add chicken, carrot, green onion, parsley and sunflower seeds to a large bowl. Stir and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the avocado oil mayonnaise, lemon juice, za’atar, cumin seeds, granulated garlic, sea salt and black pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Then, pour over chicken mixture and stir well to coat. If desired, garnish with extra parsley before serving.
- Enjoy over greens, in a lettuce wrap or grain-free tortilla, with sliced veggies or plantain chips. Whatever your heart desires, really!
Za’atar can sometimes contain toasted wheat, so make sure to check the ingredients!