Renaissance Chef, Corey Pressman showed Tra'Renee how to make delicious side dishes that include your favorite citrus fruit! Click here for more information about Corey.
Blasted and Bright Broccolini
- Two bunches of broccolini
- Olive Oil
- Handful of grated parm
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Lightly salt and oil a bunch of broccolini. Roast this in a 400 degree oven for at least 10 minutes checking often. You want the veg to be partially blackened and steaming like mad.
- As soon as you pull it out of the oven, squeeze a whole lemon over it all and throw on a handful of grated parm. Cover with a kitchen towel and let sit for a minute or so. Try red pepper flakes for a little heat.
Blood Oranges and Red Onions
- 3-4 blood oranges
- 1 peeled small red onion, thinly sliced and soaked in water for a while
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 3-4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Peel the blood oranges and cut into 1?4''-thick slices. Scatter the soaked onions over the gathered orange slices.
- Season this with salt and freshly cracked black pepper; drizzle with good extra-virgin olive oil.
Kale and Citrus Salad
- 4 large oranges, peeled and supremed, trimmings reserved
- 4 tbsp. honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 8-10 cups baby kale (or mature kale, stemmed and torn into bite-sized pieces)
- 3 tbsp. hulled pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 2-3 medium shallots, peeled, thinly sliced, and soaked in cold water for 10 minutes
- 1 1?2 cups ricotta cheese
- Squeeze juice from the orange trimmings into a large mixing bowl to make 1/4 cup juice (add some from another orange if you must). Add honey, salt and pepper, and whisk in the oil. Add kale, pumpkin seeds, shallots, and supremed orange segments, and toss to coat. Salt and pepper to taste. Drop in small bits of ricotta cheese and gently combine before serving.