Cooking Instructor Erika Augustyn shares her Curried Butternut Squash Soup. For more from Erika, CLICK HERE.
Curried Butternut Squash Soup
Total: 40 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 pounds butternut squash, cut into 1 inch cubes*
• 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
• 2 tablespoons curry powder
• ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
• 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
• 4 teaspoons plain yogurt, for garnish
• chopped cilantro, for garnish
1. Heat oil over medium heat in a 6 quart stock pot.
2. Add onions and garlic and sauté until soft but not brown, about 6 minutes.
3. Add the butternut squash, broth, curry powder, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, about 15 minutes.
4. Remove soup from the heat and stir in brown sugar, and puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender until smooth.
5. Season with additional salt, to taste. Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with yogurt and chopped cilantro.
*Frozen butternut squash works well for this recipe. If using a fresh whole butternut squash, a 2 ½ pound squash will yield the needed 2 pounds.