Wellness & Nutrition Expert, Lori Faren showed Kara Mack how to make "healthy" chicken curry. Click here for more information about Lori.
“Healthy” Northern Indian style Chicken Curry
- 1/4 cup oil or Ghee
- 1 chopped red onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 inch of ginger or 1 tbsp of ginger paste
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 4 chicken breasts
- 5 tablespoons of Tomato puree
*Optional*-Plain Greek yogurt to thicken
1) Preheat a large pan and add; oil, onions, garlic and ginger. Cook until onion is starts to brown.
2) Add the coriander and cumin seeds and cook for approx. 1 min
3) Add the remainder of the spices with approx. 1/2 cup of water to make a base
4) Add main ingredients (4 chopped chicken breasts OR 1 eggplant, 2 cans chickpeas etc)
5) Once chicken is cooked, add tomato puree and let simmer for approx. 5 mins.
*6) Optional *for thicker curry, add 1/4-1/2 cup of Plain Greek yogurt and simmer for another 5 mins.
7) Serve with Brown Rice or Naan bread