Wouldn't you just love to know the one ingredient that changes your regular ol' home popcorn to movie theater popcorn? here to show us the tips and tricks of popping popcorn...just like they have at the movies! Popcorn Master & Chef Melvin Trinidad showed Tra'Renee how!
Chef Smelly’s Popcorn Tips
Brown Bag Microwave Popcorn
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- Brown lunch bag
- Cooking spray (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Clarified butter (optional, recipe follows)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional. to taste)
1. Pour kernels into lunch bag. Fold closed and microwave for approximately 2 minutes. Enjoy. (Microwave times may vary, stop microwave when popping is spaced out 2-3 seconds.
2. (Optional) Pour popcorn into a bowl and spray with cooking spray or drizzle butter while tossing popcorn bowl intermittently. Toss with salt and enjoy.
Better than the Movies Stovetop Popcorn
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 3 tablespoons vegetable/canola oil
- 3/4 teaspoon Flavacol popcorn seasoning (found at Amazon.com)
- 1/4 cup clarified butter (recipe follows)
1. In a large pot, place oil and 5 popcorn kernels into the pot. Cover. Set heat to medium high
2. Wait for 1st kernels to pop. Remove lid and pour in remaining kernels and the Flavacol seasoning. Quickly stir to distribute seasoning and cover.
3. When kernels start to pop again, shake pan vigorously on the heat. This will prevent burn marks on your popcorn. When about 3/4 of the kernels have popped, slightly open the lid to let the steam out while still shaking the pot. When popping slows to 2-3 seconds per pop, remove from heat and pour into a large bowl.
4. Toss with clarified butter. Season to taste, but remember that the Flavacol seasoning already provides a lot of salt flavor.
1. Place one stick of butter (1/2 cup) in a small saucepan. Set heat to medium low.
2. After 3-5 minutes skim the foam and white milk solids that appear on the surface.
3. Remove from heat and pour into a cup or bowl using a fine wire mesh strainer to remove remaining milk solids.