In honor of the Royal Wedding, Chef Melvin Trinidad made a roasted chicken just like the one that Prince Harry and Meghan got engaged over! He also prepared a new twist on Yorkshire Pudding. Click here for more information about Chef Melvin.
Yorkshire Pudding with Roast Chicken and Gravy
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- teaspoon garlic salt (substitute kosher salt)
- 1/4 cup rendered meat fat or vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 450F
1. In a 12 count muffin pan, fill each cup with 1/8 inch of oil and place in the oven for 15 minutes
2. Combine eggs, flour, milk, and salt in a bowl and whisk until it is lump-free. Transfer to a measuring cup
3. Remove muffin pan from the oven and fill each cup halfway.
4. Place muffin pan in the oven and bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown and delicious and crispy
5. Fill the center well of each pudding with roast chicken and gravy
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 cup of kosher salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 4 cups water plus 4 cups cold water
- 4 cups ice
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
1. In a small saucepan, combine 4 cups water with salt, sugar and rosemary. Over medium heat, stir to dissolve salt and sugar.
2. In a large plastic container, fill with ice and pour brine and mix well, then add cold water. (Brine must be 40 degrees or colder at this point. If not, add more ice. )
3. Submerge chicken and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
4. Remove chicken from brine and pat dry.
5. Spatchcock chicken (Cut out backbone, and lay flat pushing down to crack breastbone)
6. Season with pepper and place on a baking sheet, skin side up.
7. Cook in 450F oven for 45 minutes, or until inner temperature at the thigh registers 165F (juices should run clear)
8. Remove from the oven and let rest for 15-20 minutes then carve and serve.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon minced rosemary leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
2. Add flour and mix well for 1 minute.
3. Add chicken broth, poultry seasoning, rosemary, salt and pepper.
4. Cook, stirring occasionally, until it boils, then lower to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.