Vegan Chef Jewan Manuel shares his Mac & Cheese Recipe. For more on Jewan, CLICK HERE.
VEGAN MAC & CHEESE:
• 10 ounces dried penne (or about 2 2/3 cups)
• 1/2 cup peeled/diced golden potatoes
• 1/4 cup red bell pepper
• 1/2 cup of cauliflower
• 3/4 cup water (preferably use liquid from pot of boiled veggies)
• 1/2 cup raw cashews
• 1/4 cup coconut milk
• 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Cook penne al dente, according to package instructions, drain, and set aside.
2. Bring several cups of water to boil in a small pot. Place chopped potatoes, cashews and cauliflower in the boiling water, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and soft enough to blend. Cooking time will vary slightly, based on how small you have chopped your veggies.
3. When veggies are soft enough to blend, drain,
4. and place them in your high powered blender. Add water & coconut milk to your blender, along with your remaining ingredients.
5. Blend until smooth.
6. Pour sauce over your cooked penne in a dish of your choice, taste for salt, and serve immediately.