The author of "The Compassionate Chick's Guide to DIY Beauty", Sunny Subramanian talked to Kara Mack about the health benefits of intermittent fasting.
Intermittent fasting - popular health and fitness trend which involves eating patterns that cycle between periods of eating and fasting.
Eat pretty much whatever you want, but only during a specific time period.
• 16/8 - Eat only within an 8 hour period each day and fast entirely for the remaining 16
• 5:2 - Eat normally five days of the week then fast for two days by eating ~500 calories
• Fast for a full day one to two days a week, and eat normally the other five or six days a week
• Fast every other day
• Raw fruits and veggies during the day and eat one large meal every night
• Boosts metabolism 3.6-14%. After fasting, the body shifts from burning glucose for energy to burning fat
• Insulin levels and blood sugar levels drop significantly, helps burn fat
• Human growth hormone increases as much as 5-fold, which helps burn fat and gain muscle
• "waste removal" process called autophagy takes place
• It stimulates the brain. It promotes the growth of neurons and enhances memory performance (may decrease the risk of developing neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s).
• Boosts immune system by upping production of new white blood cells
• Reduces oxidative damage and inflammation in the body which helps fight against aging and diseases.