Makeup Artist Melissa Chee shows how to keep your makeup looking fresh during the hot summer months!
Summer is coming! You don’t want your makeup melting off in the heat. So here are some tips as the weather starts to heat up.
1. Never forget your primer. This is more important than ever during the summer when the temperatures are rising. Wearing face and eye primers are the number one way to prevent your makeup from melting off your skin. The primer will also help your skin look more flawless and minimize pores and wrinkles. Be sure to apply plenty in the T-zone area (forehead, nose and chin). Also, even if you choose to forego foundation — your skin will look better with a primer.
2. Keep your makeup and foundation minimal. When it’s hot outside, adding layers and layers of makeup is counterproductive. Pick a foundation that is long lasting and heat-friendly. You can use a lightweight gel based foundation. Or opt for a tinted moisturizer, BB or CC cream (lighter than foundation with different skin care benefits; CC cream is also color correcting). Keep the coverage sheer and light. You only need to apply a little bit of powder.
3. Carry oil blotting sheets in your purse so you can blot away any excess oil in you T-zone. Avoid adding more and more powder on top of your face. It will crease and mess up your makeup. Blot instead.
4. Don’t forget to bronze all over (my personal favorite) - apply it on your forehead, cheeks, nose, jawline. Add some bronzer wherever the sun would hit your face for a gorgeous summer glow!
5. Finish your look by using a makeup setting spray. This is like the topcoat for your makeup and will help it to last longer.
6. BONUS TIP - don’t forget to use a gel based sunscreen (not a heavy cream one) if your other products don’t have sunscreen in them. Protecting your skin’s health is top priority.