Albertina Kerr has a volunteer-run restaurant and retail business called Albertina's Place. It supports their non-profit work empowering people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, mental health challenges and other social barriers to lead self-determined lives and reach their full potential. Executive Chef Joel Thompson joined us to share one of their signature dishes.
You’ll find Albertina Kerr across the street from KATU at 424 NE 22nd, Portland, OR, 97232. The restaurant is open Monday through Friday, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. for lunch and on Saturdays for special events.
The donation/consignment retail shops are open Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Hazelnut- Crusted Chicken on Salad Greens with Raspberry Vinaigrette
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) or plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup flour
- 6 small skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut in half
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups baby salad greens
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup blended oil (75% canola 25% extra virgin olive oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- In a blender combine the oil blend, vinegar, garlic, honey, raspberries, salt & pepper. Start on low speed then switch to high for 30 seconds, pour into a squirt bottle and refrigerate.
- For Chicken Preheat oven to 375F. Mix hazelnuts, panko, 1 tablespoon coarse salt, and 2 teaspoons pepper in shallow bowl.
- Mix honey, Dijon mustard, eggs, milk remaining 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and remaining 1 teaspoon pepper in bowl mix well.
- Dip chicken pieces, 1 at a time, into flour, egg mixture then crumb-nut mixture, coating both sides and pressing to adhere. Transfer coated chicken pieces to baking sheet.
- Divide equal amounts of butter and olive oil between 2 large nonstick skillets; heat over medium-high heat. Add 2 chicken pieces to each skillet; reduce heat to medium and cook until chicken is light brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Place chicken on rimmed baking sheet; transfer to oven. Roast chicken until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Divide salad greens among 4 plates; top with chicken. Garnish with fresh raspberries and drizzle with raspberry vinaigrette.