If there was a season for muffins, fall is it! Chef and Cooking Instructor Fabiola Donnelly stopped by to share her current favorite recipe.
Brown butter apple carrot muffins
makes 10 muffins
- 10 tablespoons (140 g) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup (200 g) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 small carrots, grated
- 1 medium apple, cored and grated
Place oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
Line muffin tin with baking paper or lightly oil/butter tin.
Add butter to small saucepan, heat over medium high heat until the solids start to turn brown and smells of toasted nuts. Set aside and cool.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg . In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, maple syrup and vanilla extract, then add brown butter, whisk to combine. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, gently fold using a spatula. Add grated carrot and apple, gently fold using a spatula.
Evenly scoop the batter into baking cups and bake for 20 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to two days on the counter.