How do vegans live without cheese? Amy Webster, Food and Nutrition Coordinator with the Humane Society of the United States, says they don't have to and she stopped by to prove it!
Creamy Cashew Cheesy Sauce
- ½ cup roasted sweet potatoes
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked for 1-3 hours, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
1. In a high speed blender (like Vitamix) start slow to incorporate all the ingredients then turn up the speed, scraping down sides as you go.
2. Serve as a nacho cheese on chips or over pasta. The opportunities are endless for this nutritious and delicious cheesy sauce!
• To make the sauce thinner, add more water or vegetable stock
• To make the sauce thicker, add less water
• Add taco seasoning for a more nacho cheese flavor
• Mix in salsa for a queso dip