Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Iris Briand stopped by to share a delicious and healthy breakfast idea. She says we can even take this one to-go!
Delicious Veggie Omelet
Did you Know? This omelet can help build energy with its active B-vitamins to stay satisfied and mentally clear
Yields 3 servings
Recipe Key: 1 T = 1 Tablespoon
- 6 eggs plus 1 T water to fluff them up
- 2 shallots (or 1/3 onion), sliced thin
- 1 small bell pepper, minced
- 1 bunch spinach, or 3 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- A few pinches of ‘Real Salt’ (an affordable brand of unbleached sea salt)
- A few grinds of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 T organic butter, ghee, or virgin coconut oil
- 1 avocado, sliced thin
- Favorite cheese; gruyere, white cheddar, feta, etc.
- Fresh basil and/or parsley
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Cherry tomatoes (Summer season)
1. Melt 1T butter, ghee, or oil in a medium sized cast iron skillet over low-med heat.
2. Place shallots/onion & bell pepper inside of the skillet. Cook for 3- 4 minutes, stirring often until veggies are tender with the pierce of a fork.
3. Transfer sautéed veggies to a plate. Next, wilt the spinach by tossing it into the same pan, add a few T water & stir on med-low heat for 60-90 seconds. Transfer spinach to veggie mixture.
4. Beat the eggs until lightly foamy; add Real Salt, pepper, and 1 T water.
5. Coat skillet with 1 T butter/ghee/virgin coconut oil & add egg mixture until the eggs begin to set on the bottom of the pan about 20 seconds.
6. Using a stainless steel spatula, gently lift edges of the omelet toward the middle of the pan, to let the uncooked part of the eggs flow toward the edges & bottom of the pan. Continue cooking for 2 minutes or when center appears light and spongy.
7. Sprinkle veggies (plus cheese if desired) over 1/2 of the omelet. Using spatula, gently fold plain egg side over the veggie side. Cook for 25 seconds on each side.
8. Slide the omelet out of the skillet and onto a plate
9. Chop the omelet in thirds, top with avocado, and serve with your preferred sides.
This meal can keep you feeling energized and satisfied for hours & hours. Enjoy!