If you avoid leafy greens because you don't think they taste good, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Iris Briand wants to change that! She stopped by to tell us why leafy greens are so good for us and to share a delicious recipe.
Red Lentil Pasta with Greens and Pesto
This meal can be eaten for lunch or dinner, and makes great leftovers. It's also rich in iron, vitamin C, vitamin K, and omega 3s to keep us mentally focused and physically satisfied throughout the day!
Makes 4-6 servings
- One package 100% red lentil pasta, organic (Trader Joes)
- Pesto, recipe below (You’ll need Basil, Parsley, Walnuts)
- Steamed greens- kale, chard, and/or broccoli work well, recipe below
- One pound whole crimini mushrooms
- Extra Virgin olive oil
- Freshly grated parmesan or romano, to taste
- Ghee or cultured butter, such as Organic Valley
- Sprinkle of black pepper
- Real Salt (unbleached sea salt), to your taste
- Simply wash and spin-dry the herbs to make up the pesto recipe (see below).
- Cook up pasta by looking at instructions on the package.
- Sauté sliced mushrooms in butter or ghee, on medium heat for approx. 7 mins.
- Steam the greens using the recipe below.
- Toss pasta with steamed greens, mushrooms, pesto, and top with parmesan.
Steamed Greens Recipe
- Any dark leafy greens of your choice: kale, chard, broccoli, spinach, and/or mustard greens
- Wash well; then cut veggies into bite sized pieces.
- Place ¾ inch water in the large saucepan, add a stainless steel steaming basket ($7 at Fred Meyer) , then the veggies, and bring to a boil.
- Once the water is reaches a boil, put lid on top, and lower temperature to low.
- Let steam for a 2-3 minutes. Done when fork pierces evenly through the veggie.
- Toss the veggies with a little oil and or butter, salt and pepper.
Simple Basil & Parsley Pesto
- 1 bunch Basil
- 1 bunch Parsley (omit parsley & add 2 bunches of basil if you prefer basil pesto)
- 3/4 cup raw walnuts or nut of choice
- ¾ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Real Salt (to taste)
- Pinch of black pepper
- Toast walnuts in toaster oven for 45 seconds, until golden. Let cool.
- Blend herbs in food processor, then add walnuts. Transfer to serving bowl.
- Add olive oil, Real Salt, and pepper.