Amy Webster, Food and Nutrition Coordinator with the Humane Society of the United States, stopped by to share an easy and delicious recipe perfect for warm summer nights and family picnics.
SUMMERY LEMON ASPARAGUS PASTA
A light, delicious, plant-based pasta dish that is super easy to make! Serves: 2-3
- 10 ounces (~5 cups) bow tie pasta
- 1 bunch asparagus (12 ounces), trimmed and washed
- 2 lemons or ~4 Tbsp lemon juice and 2 tsp of lemon zest, freshly grated
- 3 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 large cloves garlic, minced (~2 Tbsp)
- 2 cups unsweetened plain soy or almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp sea salt + pinch for asparagus
- 1/2 tsp black pepper + pinch for asparagus
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place asparagus on a baking sheet and toss with 1/2 Tbsp olive oil and a pinch each salt and pepper. Top with several thin slices of lemon and bake for 20-25 minutes. Once finished cooking, remove from oven and roughly chop into thirds.
In the meantime, cook pasta according to package.
While the water’s heating for pasta, begin the sauce. Bring a large skillet to medium heat and add 3 Tbsp olive oil and garlic. Whisk and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes or until garlic is just starting to brown. Add almond or soy milk in 1/2 cup at a time and continue to whisk. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper and continue to whisk.
Once pasta is cooked, drain and set aside.
Once the sauce is smooth and to desired taste, add chopped asparagus and the cooked pasta to the sauce and toss to coat. Serve with a lemon wedge and vegan parmesan cheese.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to a few days.