Alice Bolen, author of “Simply De-Lite-Ful,” stopped by to share a delicious grab-and-go breakfast or snack idea.
Super Food Krispie Treats
A yummy, healthier alternative to the traditional buttery marshmallow covered variety. It does double duty as a nutritious after-school or anytime snack and a grab-and-go breakfast as you hustle out the door in the morning! (And yes, it’s gluten free!)
9x13 pan lightly sprayed
In a large mixing bowl combine:
- 4 cups puffed cereal (I like Rice Krispies)
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups mix-ins (chopped dried fruit, nuts, seeds, coconut, etc.)
- Chocolate chips, optional (If using don't add till mixture is ready to be turned into 9X13 pan).
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons heart healthy butter substitute
Combine above ingredients in small pan. Bring to boil over medium heat and boil 1 1/2 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in:
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (You can use almond butter or other nut butter of your choice.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix till smooth and pour over dry ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are evenly covered. Add chocolate chips, if using. Turn into prepared pan and press firmly.
If you refrigerate it, it is easier to cut in bars. (Or, like at our house, put it on a dome-covered cake plate with a knife for easy snacking!)