It's a vegan dish so delicious, you'll never miss the meat! Julie Hasson, cookbook author and private chef, joined us to share her recipe for a revamped Chinese Chicken Salad:
Vegan Chinese Chicken Salad
Serves 3 to 4
- 2 cups vegan chicken strips or sautéed tofu
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 cups romaine or iceberg lettuce, thinly shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage (about 1/4 head red cabbage), shredded
- 3 Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions (about 3)
- 4 seedless Mandarin oranges or tangerines, peeled and separated into segments
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts or cashews or sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup peanut butter powder
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce (or regular)
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 to 3 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (depending how gingery you like it)
Salad: In a large skillet add 2 teaspoons oil and heat over medium heat. Add the vegan chicken and sauté about 2 minutes. Remove to a plate to cool.
In a large bowl, combine the shredded lettuce, red cabbage, cucumber, carrot, scallions, Mandarin oranges, cooled vegan chicken, peanuts, and sesame seeds.
Ginger Dressing: In a bowl, whisk together the peanut butter powder, sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, agave, garlic, and ginger. Whisk until smooth. Pour dressing over salad, toss to combine and serve.
Copyright 2018 Julie Hasson
For more great food information and delicious recipes, visit Julie's website.