It's the holiday season so let the baking begin! And why not include some vegan treats this year! Vegan Chef Amy Webster, from The Humane Society of the United States, stopped by to share one of her favorite holiday cookie recipes.
Russian Tea Cakes
Servings: 28-32 cookies | gluten-free
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup raw almonds, finely chopped (or almond meal)
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a hand mixer, cream the butter and 1 cup of powdered sugar together until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and almonds then mix to combine. Slowly add the flour, mixing until completely incorporated. The mixture should be crumbly but easily rolled into balls. If it’s too dry to work with, add a splash of almond or soy milk.
- Roll a small amount of mixture into a ball and place on parchment paper. Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Allow cookies to cool for at least 15 minutes, then roll each cookie in the remaining powdered sugar twice to coat well. Enjoy!