Medical examiner: Capitol cop Brian Sicknick had stroke, died of natural causes on Jan. 7
U.S. Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick, who died from injuries sustained during the January 6 riots, will lie in honor next week.{ }(Photo: U.S. Capitol Police)

D.C. Chief Medical Examiner Francisco J. Diaz has determined that Brian Sicknick, the United States Capitol Police officer who died following the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, died of natural causes.

In a report released Monday, Diaz said Sicknick suffered a stroke in the evening on Jan. 6 and died almost 24 hours later on Jan. 7.

Last month, U.S. officials arrested and charged two men with assaulting Sicknick with bear spray during the riot — George Tanios, 39, of Morgantown, West Virginia, and Julian Khater, 32, of Pennsylvania.

The report says that happened around 2:20 p.m., and Sicknick collapsed at 10 p.m. He died at a hospital the next day at 9:30 p.m.

The United States Capitol Police released a statement about the finding Monday afternoon.

"The USCP accepts the findings from the District of Columbia's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner that Officer Brian Sicknick died of natural causes," it states. "This does not change the fact Officer Sicknick died in the line of duty, courageously defending Congress and the Capitol. The Department continues to mourn the loss of our beloved colleague. The attack on our officers, including Brian, was an attack on our democracy."

Congressional leaders paid tribute to Sicknick in early February in the building he died defending, promising his family and his fellow officers that they will never forget his sacrifice.

Earlier this month, the medical examiner released a report on the four civilians who died at or immediately following the riot.

Ashli Babbitt, 35, was shot by a U.S. Capitol Police Officer. Her manner of death in the report is listed as a homicide, and the cause is a "gunshot wound to the left anterior shoulder." The Department of Justice announced last week that no criminal charges will be pursued against the officer who was involved in that shooting.

The other woman who died that day, 34-year-old Roseanne Boyland, of Kennesaw, Georgia, experienced an accidental drug overdose, the report says. The cause of death is listed as "acute amphetamine intoxication."

The manner of death for both civilian men who died — 50-year-old Benjamin Phillips of Ringtown, Pennsylvania and 55-year-old Kevin Greenson of Athens, Alabama — is listed as "natural," due to "hypertensive atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease."

View This Story on Our Site