1 dead in Southeast Portland duplex fire
A man died in a duplex fire Monday night, firefighters said.
Firefighters were called to the duplex on Southeast Bush Street just off 122nd Avenue at about 9 p.m.
They pulled the man out of the house and quickly put out the fire. The firefighters and medics tried to save the man and he was taken to the hospital. But the man did not survive.
A neighbor tried to go into the burning building several times to try and get the man out, but they were separated and he couldn't get him out.
"I had just the sleeve of whatever he was wearing, but he was struggling to get around and couldn't see himself," said Nicholas Rider. "He was going a different direction and just couldn't keep a hold of him. And I couldn't breathe and it was burning my eyes and my lungs. So I tried to get back out and go back in. Then I lost track of him."
Another neighbor helped Rider. They tried to fight the fire with a garden hose. They were able to tame it a little bit just as firefighters arrived.
Investigators are working to find out what started the fire.