Anesthesiologist charged with incompetence after boy dies following dental procedure
The Washington State Medical Commission has charged an anesthesiologist with incompetence after a 4-year-old boy died following a dental procedure.
Thmeka Curry says her son, Mykel Peterson, was undergoing a routine dental procedure at Must Love Kids Pediatric Dentistry in Vancouver on March 10, 2017. An anesthesiologist put Mykel to sleep because he was squirmy during a previous dental visit.
Curry says her son was breathing after the procedure, but shortly after, she began to worry that he was still asleep. She asked the doctors if anything had gone wrong, and the anesthesiologist explained why it might take longer for him to wake up.
"He was just saying how he gave him just a little extra dosage to make sure he didn't wake up through the procedure," Curry said of what the anesthesiologist told her.
Shortly after, Vancouver Fire confirms dental staff began CPR and called 911. Medics kept CPR going as they rushed Mykel to the hospital, according to a Vancouver Fire spokesman. He was later pronounced dead.
Mykel's mom says the boy was developmentally delayed, but had no health problems to speak of prior to his death.
This week, KATU News confirmed the anesthesiologist, Chester Hu, was charged with incompetence. A separate Washington State Dental Commission investigation is still ongoing.