Audio: Cordie's mother calls police to report her daughter missing

The body of Meighan Cordie, 27, was found near Dayton on Aug. 23 more than nine miles from the site where she was reported missing on Aug. 18.

KATU News has obtained the phone call the mother of 27-year-old Meighan Cordie made to police to report her daughter was missing.

Jennifer Weathers called the non-emergency number Aug. 19, the day after Cordie disappeared. They both had attended a wedding the day before.

Listen here:

Cordie’s body was discovered by joggers Aug. 23 near Dayton, more than nine miles from the site of the wedding.

Cordie and Weathers got into a heated argument at the wedding. According to Yamhill County District Attorney Brad Berry, Weathers was upset that they had to leave early.

Berry said Cordie was sitting in the back seat of an SUV next to her 3-year-old daughter, who was in a child safety seat on the night of Aug. 18. He said Weathers, 50, was driving.

Berry said Cordie either jumped out or fell out of the back seat. He said investigators can't say for sure how she left the vehicle, but that she died instantly because she likely hit support beams or guardrails of the road on her back and head and then fell down an embankment.

Berry said Weathers didn't call deputies until the next day, telling them Cordie left the car not far from the wedding in Grand Island after she slowed down to below 5 mph.

In that phone call, Weathers told the dispatcher her daughter was upset and had gotten out of her car. The next day Weathers said she drove around for two hours looking for her daughter. She said she checked with hospitals and jails but was told her daughter wasn’t there.

“She doesn’t have her phone. She left it in my car. She didn’t have her wallet. Everything was in my car,” she told the dispatcher.

The DA said Cordie’s death was accidental and no criminal charges have been filed in the case. But he also said that the testimony of Cordie’s mother was inconsistent.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off