Construction crew strikes gas main, forces Lincoln City neighborhood evacuation
A construction crew working to build a new house struck a gas line Thursday, which forced nearby residents to evacuate, according to the city.
Firefighters were called to Northeast 47th and Tide just after noon.
The smell of gas could be detected for blocks around the house and firefighters reported highly pressurized gas could be heard coming from the construction site.
A division fire chief immediately ordered evacuations of neighboring homes.
Pacific Power cut power to homes in the neighborhood to prevent electricity from sparking a fire.
Crews from NW Natural Gas dug two holes at each end of the block and stopped the leak just after 1:30 p.m.
The city said residents returned to their homes about 20 to 30 minutes later.
“The operation went off very smoothly and coordinated,” Fire Chief Doug Kerr said.
Several agencies responded to assist during the incident.